Requirements to Challenge a Ballot
Poll managers, any voter, and any qualified watcher may challenge the vote of a person who may be known or suspected not to be a qualified voter. A challenge may also be made if you have good reason to believe the person has already voted or has become disqualified for any cause. Challenges of ballots cast in person in the absentee precinct and at the polling place on election day must be made prior to the voter casting the ballot. No challenges can be made after that time. All challenges must be addressed to poll managers and not directly to voters. Challenges of absentee by mail ballots must be made prior to separating the ballot from absentee return envelope, which can begin as early as 9:00 a.m. on the day preceding the election. Challenges in the absentee precinct are very rare because the voter has the opportunity to make address changes or otherwise correct his voting record with election officials before casting an absentee ballot. If a challenged voter casts a provisional ballot, the challenger must appear or produce evidence at the provisional ballot hearing to sustain the challenge; otherwise, the ballot will be counted. See S.C. Code sections 7-13-810 and 7-13-830.
Freedom of Information Act Fee Schedule
Fines and Fees Collected
- FY2009 - FY2017 fines and fees collected are included in Accountability Reports.
- FY2018 - Fines and Fees Collected
- FY2019 - Fines and Fees Collected
- FY2020 - Fines and Fees Collected
- FY2021 - Fines and Fees Collected
2020 Election Fraud Investigations Report
Below are scheduled meetings of the State Election Commission and the State Board of Canvassers. All meetings, unless otherwise noted, will be held at 1122 Lady St., Suite 500, Columbia, SC, 29201. Notices are subject to change up until 24 hours prior to meeting.
State Election Commission
All meetings held at 10:00 a.m. unless noted otherwise.
- January 19, 2022, 3:00 p.m. (Agenda)
- January 27, 2022, 1:00 p.m. (Agenda)
- February 16, 2022 (Agenda)
- March 16, 2022 (Agenda)
- April 20, 2022 (Agenda)
- May 18, 2022 (Agenda)
- June 15, 2022 (Agenda)
- July 20, 2022 (Agenda)
- August 12, 2022 (Agenda)
- August 17, 2022 (Agenda)
- September 21, 2022 (Agenda)
- October 19, 2022
- November 16, 2022
- December 21, 2022
State Board of Canvassers (as needed)
All meetings held at 3:00 p.m. unless noted otherwise.
- January 28, 2022 - Primary for State Senate District 31 Special Election
- March 11, 2022 - Primary for State House District 97 Special Election
- March 25, 2022 - Primary for State House District 18 Special Election
- April 1, 2022 - State Senate District 31 Special Election
- May 20, 2022 - State House District 97 Special Election
- May 27, 2022 - State House District 18 Special Election
- June 17, 2022 - Statewide Primaries (Agenda)
- July 1, 2022 - Runoffs for Statewide Primaries (Agenda)
- November 18, 2022 - Statewide General Election