2020 Statewide Primaries FAQs
Click here to download a printer-friendly version.
- Will the June Primaries and Runoffs be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic?
- I am concerned about voting at my polling place in the pandemic. What are my options?
- I am self-isolating due to the pandemic. Does this qualify me to vote absentee?
- Why can’t everyone vote by mail or vote early?
- What are election officials doing to protect voters and poll managers at polling places?
- Where do I vote? Will my polling place be open?
- How can I volunteer to be a poll manager?
- What candidates and/or offices are on the ballot today?
- Do I have to be a registered member of a party to participate in the Statewide Primaries?
- Can I vote in both primaries?
- If I voted in one party’s primary, can I vote in the other party’s runoff?
- What hours will the polls be open?
- What do I take with me to the polls to vote?
- Does my Driver’s License/DMV ID Card have to be a REAL ID?
- What if I don’t have one of these Photo IDs?
- What happens if I have a Photo ID but forget to bring it to my polling place?
- I’ve lost my Photo ID. Can I still vote?
- I’ve lost my non-photo voter registration card. Can I still vote?
- I’ve moved since the last election and haven’t updated my voter registration card. Can I still vote?
- I moved to South Carolina after the May 10 voter registration deadline. Can I vote?
- I still have my absentee by mail ballot. What do I do?
- Can I return my absentee ballot to my polling place on Election Day?
- I received my Runoff absentee ballot in the mail. Why are some offices and candidates marked out?
- How is the ballot order determined for candidates and political parties?
- How is the winner determined in a Primary?
- When and where will results be reported?
- How is the winner determined in a runoff?
- When is a recount necessary?
- When I left the polls, I was asked to participate in an “exit poll.” Is this legal?
- What is South Carolina’s new voting system and how does it work?
- What are the benefits of a ballot-marking device?
- Are South Carolina’s elections secure? How can I trust that my vote will count?
- I saw a candidate/member of candidate’s campaign at my polling place talking to voters. Can he do that?
- A candidate is definitely campaigning while in the polling place, or there is campaign material within 200 feet of the entrance. What can I do?
- Can candidates or their representatives take people to the polls to vote?
- Are there any laws about candidates posting their signs along the roadway?
- Do employers have to give you time off to vote?
- Can I take my child with me to vote?
- Are “ballot selfies” legal? Can I take a picture of my ballot and share it with others?
- Can alcoholic beverages be sold on Election Day?
- Can lottery tickets be sold on Election Day?
- Where can I report an issue or file a complaint about the election?