Absentee Deadlines Fast Approaching
COLUMBIA, SC (October 31, 2012) - Voters should be aware of upcoming deadlines and the procedures for voting by absentee ballot in the November 6, 2012, General Election.
Persons qualified to vote by absentee ballot:
1. Students attending school outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents residing with them
2. Members of the Armed Forces or Merchant Marine serving outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents residing with them (click here for additional information)
3. Persons serving with the American Red Cross or with the United Service Organizations (USO) who are attached to and serving with the Armed Forces outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents residing with them
4. Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on election day
5. Physically disabled persons
6. Government employees serving outside their county of residence on Election Day and their spouses and dependents residing with them
7. Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
8. Persons who plan to be on vacation outside their county of residence on Election Day
9. Certified poll watchers, poll managers, and county election officials working on Election Day
10. Overseas Citizens (click here for additional information)
11. Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
12. Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on Election Day or within a four-day period before the election
13. Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day
14. Persons sixty-five years of age or older
15. Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
Qualified voters may vote absentee in person or by mail:
In Person - Visit your county voter registration office , complete an application, and cast your ballot. You may vote absentee in person up until 5:00 p.m. on Monday, November 5.
By Mail - Due to the late date, voters should use this method only if absolutely necessary
Step 1: Get an absentee application in one of two ways:
- Get the application online at scVOTES.org. Follow this link to get your application online. To get your application online, you must be able to print your application.
- Request an application from your county voter registration office by phone, mail, email, or fax. You will be mailed an application.
Step 2: Complete and sign the application and return it to your county voter registration office as soon as possible and no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2. You can return the application by mail, fax, or email.
Step 3: You will be mailed an absentee ballot.
Step 4: Vote the ballot following ballot instructions and return it to your county voter registration office no later than 7:00 p.m. on November 6th. You may return the ballot personally or by mail.
Voters can find more information on absentee voting, check their absentee ballot status, check their voter registration, and see a county-by-county list of candidates at scVOTES.org.Back to All News