News & Press Releases

Are You Eligible to Vote in the June 24 Runoffs?

South Carolina voters will head to the polls again on Tuesday, June 24, to vote in the Primary Runoffs, but not all voters will have the opportunity to vote. There is no statewide office on the ballot, so there are areas of the state where no runoffs are taking place. Also, voters who voted in one party's primary on June 10, are restricted from voting in another party's runoff. This means some voters will have a runoff in their county or district but will not be eligible to vote due to this restriction.

How to determine whether you are eligible to vote in the Primary Runoff:

1. Check the 2008 Primary Runoffs by County list to determine whether there are any runoffs being held in your county and in any of your districts within your county.

2. If you do not know which districts you live in (State Senate, State House, County Council, etc.), contact your county voter registration office, or check your voter registration online. 

3. If you voted in one party's Primary on June 10, determine whether any of the runoffs in your county or district are for candidates of the same party. If so, those are the runoffs for which you are eligible. You are not eligible to "crossover" and vote in the other party's runoff.

4. If you did not vote in the June 10th primary, you are eligible to vote in any runoff being held in your county or district. However, you still may only vote in one party's runoff.

Voters will be required to show any one of three forms of identification in order to vote: voter registration card, driver's license, or a picture ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you registered to vote by mail after January 1, 2004, are voting for the first time since that registration, and did not submit a form of identification along with your application; you will be required to show ID at the polls in addition to your voter registration card. Acceptable forms of this additional ID include: a valid photo ID or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address in the county.

If you have questions regarding your voter registration or eligibility to vote in the June 24 Runoffs, contact your county voter registration office.

Posted in Uncategorized
Back to All News